Monday, July 6, 2015

The Blue Balloon by Mick Inkpen

Here is a list of things you need to know :

  • The Blue Balloon is not a new book (first published in 1989)
  • The Blue Balloon is near the top of my favourite picture books of all time!
  • The Blue Balloon review is number 700 for my little blog and today is the 7th day of the 7th month I am such a fan of number sequences like this
  • The Blue Balloon is a book for all ages.  It is a book to treasure and read over and over again.
  • If The Blue Balloon is a book you have not yet discovered rush out right now and grab a copy - you will not be disappointed.
  • The Blue Balloon is the first book which features the cute dog Kipper - he went on to star in a whole series of books nearly all of which you can find in our school library.




"One day after my birthday party Kipper found a soggy blue balloon in the garden." This is the opening sentence.  Perhaps this balloon is nothing too special but the next sentence tells us "the balloons at my party were red and white." And so a day of pure balloon fun begins.  Featuring flaps and fold outs this balloon is subjected to all sorts of rough treatment but it always survives and as an added delight changes in the most marvellous and truly magical ways.

I am so happy The Blue Balloon emerged on the top of my reading pile in time to celebrate review number 700.

You might also like to read my review of another Mick Inkpen gem - Nothing.


No comments: